Monday, February 4, 2013

Birthday Breakthrough

Hey guys! I'm gonna see if I can restart this blog. Turns out having a job with daytime hours is not as easy of a schedule as I thought it'd be. Let me catch y'all up briefly. I spent this summer celebrating my boyfriend's return from the Navy by eating ice cream and ignoring my calorie counter app. We were still working out but not so much keeping track of what we were eating. So by fall I was back up 10 pounds and my scrubs were starting to get snug so I kicked myself back into gear.

Here are the newest things in my life: I have officially kicked my Diet DP habit. DONE. No more soda for me at all. I've had like 2 carbonated drinks in 2013, and after the last one my stomach revolted so I'm pretty much done. I've also limited myself to very very small amounts of sweet tea every once in a while. I mean, I'm a southern girl through and through, I will never be done with sweet tea. But I can get away now with maybe one every 2 weeks. If that. It's pretty satisfying to know that you're not drinking your calories and you can eat them instead.

I've officially, consistently, gotten under a 10-minute mile on the elliptical. I dunno how, or why, or WHAT it finally was. It was like my body had an epiphany a couple weeks ago. I went from struggling to get a 9:55 mile to doing a couple miles under 10 minutes each. My biggest breakthrough was on my 26th birthday of all days. I had eaten Cane's for lunch and then a Braum's hot fudge sundae, so I did not have the best fuel to go on. We only had 30 minutes at the gym if we wanted to make it to the movies on time so I decided "well...I need to burn off all that fried food" and went straight upstairs to an elliptical. It was like something in me got out of the way and I stopped fighting myself. I did my first mile in 7:48. That's SEVEN MINUTES and 48 seconds. My second one was in something like 8:30 and my third was in around 9:30. Overall I finished 3 miles in just under 26 minutes and clocked in an unprecedented 3.42 miles in 30 minutes.

Now, this may sound like something I was working towards and worked up to, and in a way it was. I've been doing LOTS of Zumba and still the occasional spin class, and I feel like my endurance is slowly but surely getting better. But I have been avoiding upstairs for a while now. [Side note: If you're not a member of a gym, I will explain. The way most of them are set up there are 2 floors, the first floor is mostly weight equipment and the second is usually exclusively cardio equipment. Aka torture devices known as treadmills, ellipticals, step climbers, stationary bikes and recumbent bikes. Although nobody's ever burned calories efficiently on a recumbent bike, let's be honest.] I'd only been on an elliptical maybe twice since new years. Partially because it's over-crowded with resolution-ers, but also because when I did my times were worse than they were before. So I was discouraged and kept burning my calories in Zumba. But on my birthday I didn't have time for Zumba, and I didn't want to do half a spin class. So I took myself upstairs and proceeded to show myself WHY I can do this if I just put my mind to it. And my legs.

So, in short, I want to get back to this because I miss sharing with you guys my thoughts on all of this. And I need to remind myself that while I'm trying to keep myself on track, there are tons of you out there fighting the same fight to GET HEALTHY! It's not just about fitting into a smaller pair of jeans(although that's definitely a motivator) it's about being around to enjoy the pant size that you have for as long as you can, until they are elastic waist because you've earned it along with your white hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment