Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tour de Pants

Y'all.... I am so proud of myself. I got myself out of bed, somehow, and went to a spin class BY MYSELF. As in I knew that I wouldn't know anyone there- not even the instructor. This is a new level of dedication for me. Lol this is my 3rd week to go to spin class and I'm really enjoying them. They are getting progressively easier(read:less excrutiating) to get through. Today was a different instructor so I can't tell how much of that was different styles or increase in stamina. I'm gonna say it was both. =) I don't have a whole lot to talk about, just some observations and thoughts I'd like to share since you seem to be interested. Haha.

So remember last time when I told you not to compare yourself to other people in terms of pace? Well spin class is a really good example of that. If you've never been crazy enough to go to a spin cycling class, let me briefly overview. You walk in and see a wide variety of people. You've got the girl in her I-live-here matching outfit, the person in the bike shorts and cycling shoes with legs that have more muscles showing than should be humanly possible, then you have the person who is probably like you- normal looking. So you choose the bike furthest from the mirrors that you can still see the instructor and you notice about 5 different ways to adjust things. Luckily you have a good instructor that takes pity on you and shows you how to adjust the bike so you don't kill your knees or your back. You find that you're not gonna make an easy get away if you wimp out bc your shoes are now strapped in for maximum safety. So you start cycling as you're on your 2nd and 3rd thoughts about giving this a try and class finally starts. For the next hour you have a very enthusiastic instructor telling you exactly where and how much it should be hurting if you're doing it right. 15 mins in you start planning you escape to see exactly how awkward it would be... Gym mascot mom might judge you, but rippling legs probably wont have hard feelings. But after 30 mins you realize you just MIGHT be able to do this. You may not be merely glistening like the pros, but you're still peddling. It's all downhill from there. Well, probably not. You probably have to do at least one more climb at at least an 85% resistance before you can peel yourself off of your bike seat and stretch your tired muscles. You assess the damage and realize that despite waddling everywhere for the next day or two, you're actually invigorated. You just did cardio for an HOUR. How awesome is that?

Pretty awesome. Which is why I'm considering going back tomorrow. But I'm concerned it'll have me limping this wknd and that's not ok. Lol. I'm not ashamed to say I definitely wore 2 pairs of underwear the last 2 times and that seems to help a lot. Haha. I'm working out of town this wk so my afternoon training isn't an option and I need to keep up my calorie burning. I'm actually kinda frustrated bc I've been the same weight for the last 2 wks even though I've been working out A LOT and eating pretty well. It's probably just muscle gain bc I feel like I can see a difference in my legs for sure, but it's still annoying. Just one of those plateaus I've gotta grit my teeth and get thru.

So yeah, soccer calves are making their return! Minus that creepy muscle right below my knee that soccer players always have. Haha. Let's talk about something else annoying. My clown pants. Lol now I'm really glad that I've lost all this weight, but the downside is that NONE OF MY CLOTHES FIT. Everytime I do laundry now I'm like taking a census of what's ok to wear and what's just so big that I can't get away with it anymore. I'm afraid one of my customers is going to tell me to watch what not to wear so I can learn how clothes are supposed to fit. I just need to bite the bullet and buy a couple more pairs of work pants that don't make it so painfully obvious that I used to be so much bigger. I just dont want to waste money on clothes that aren't going to fit me in a couple months. I think I'll just go to goodwill. Or do I have any friends that have 16/18 dress pants that are too big for them now? We should organize a clothes swap. Haha. How awesome would that be? Almost as awesome as burning 900 calories in an hour.

What else? It's HARD to be healthy. And expensive. I'd much rather have a 99cent cheeseburger than grilled chicken whatever. You know what's good tho? The grilled chicken wrap at sonic. If you have good healthy finds at fast food places, you should leave them in the comments!!

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! Keep on peddling!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Wendy's apple pecan chicken salad. It is heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marissa, first of all, I want to say that I love reading about your journey. It's so inspiring and it makes me miss you so much! Anywho, I'd love to send you a gift from The House Vintage (my Etsy store) - something that is adjustable in a way that will help your transition from here to "there" be a little more stylish. Send me your measurements!!

    - Geena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes, the lovely cycler's waddle... errr, not-so-seasoned cycler's waddle. That's me, too.

    I say bite the bullet and buy yourself a new pair of pants, like a nice pair! A new size of pants is always a victory and one the should be celebrated! So splurge a little. Even if it's just one pair of nice pants and you wear them everyday... one or two new pairs. ; )

    ReplyDelete