Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ok don't be mad...

Soooo I've slept in my own bed once in the past week, sorry I haven't blogged like I promised. But hey doesn't every blogger have to apologize for not blogging? So we all knew this was coming. Lol. Anyway, all of my working out of town has brought on lots of thoughts about just how freaking hard it is to be healthy when on the road and how bad I am at it. I'm doing my measurements again next week and I feel like I've totally dropped the ball.

First, I specifically got a hotel that had a fridge and a fitness center. Even when I looked at the pictures all it was was a busted looking bowflex and a treadmill, it was still better than nothing. Well I get here and it has NO fridge but a nice treadmill, elliptical and bike. So I can't go out and buy groceries like I wanted to but I can work out. Too bad I haven't yet- yesterday I had a valid excuse, today I was just lazy. Lol. But then I realized I was redoing my measurements next week and I need to keep my rear in gear and just go work out. It's not like I can cram for this kind of test, but I can undo my work very quickly with lots of bad food and lots of not working out. And my schedule this wk is just not conducive to being healthy. Especially because I'm working in a small town where the only fast food is sonic and the gas station. I'm sad to sad to report that I've had pizza for lunch the last 2 days.

But really, when you're broke an you can get 2 pieces of pizza for $2 or a grilled chicken sandwich for $6... It's kind of hard to convince the fat kid inside that the sandwich is a better choice. OMG speaking of sonic, can we talk about their newest addition to the menu? They sweet potato tots!! Which sounds amazing except that they're $3+. As in you could get a chicken finger sandwich, regular tots, and a happy hour drink for what they're charging for the [slightly] healthier option. This is just one really frustrating example of why it's so hard to be healthy on the road. I mean this isn't a new phenomenon; better ingredients are more expensive, healthy things are also unfortunately less in demand so combine these 2 things and you usually get significantly more expensive healthy options. Let's do a little comparing with everyone's favorite fast food punching bag- macdonalds.

99c McDouble= 390 calories
99c McChicken= 380 calories
Grilled chicken snack wrap= 270 calories

Now those are all smaller sized items. I can't find the prices online so this isn't going to work out how I wanted it to. Lol. Anyway, you all know what I'm talking about. This is why last week I asked for healthy options from fast food restaurants bc I knew I'd be on the road a lot.

And now I'm gonna do something that you're all probably going to hate me for. I'm going to enlighten you on specific choices that I used to make and ones I make now. Let's go back to sonic for a bit, bc you know I'm not the only one obsessed with tots. My old favorite to order was the bacon cheeseburger toaster combo. Large tots, large cherry limeade. [oh yes, I'm going here]. Calories in that? 870 + 330 + 220 = 1420 calories. What I order now? Grilled chicken wrap, small tots, Large DIET cherry limeade. 320 + 130 + 20 = 470 calories. Y'all. That's almost a THOUSAND calories difference. Ok this is the one you're really not gonna like, but I have to do it. *grits teeth* I've only been to Raising Cane's twice in the last year since I got this app. You know why? Oh, you know. Box combo, no slaw, extra toast. Ready for this? 1039 calories! that's not even counting sweet tea and each extra cane's sauce is 173 calories!! And there's no substituting at canes. Lol It would take me a spin class PLUS a weights set 3(3x15) to burn off a box combo. Add on the tea and an extra sauce and you're probably looking at another 3(3x15) ab set. That's a lot of work for fried chicken.

Ok guys I apologize, that was ugly but I had to do it. I just wanted to show you what this new awareness has done to/for me. Most places its a matter of just getting the smaller size or not getting sauce or holding the cheese or getting a wrap instead of a sandwich. [fun fact, 2 corn tortillas have about as many calories as one slice of bread] and if the choices don't allow for much difference I always try to get the better ingredient. Like wheat over white or brown rice instead of white rice. I think of it as getting better blocks to build with. If they cost the same, get the better one. Although I guess in a way it's like gas quality and prices. The cheap gas does the trick but the expensive gas makes your car run better. Supposedly. Unlike eating healthy, who ever buys the premium gas?

3 comments:

  1. But I LOVE Canes!!!! That is so depressing. You should look up Olive Garden's salad. That one is pretty atrocious too. Thanks for all the info and I am so super proud of your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man now I'm hungry for fast food and it's friday during lent :( oh well maybe Saturday lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit too late now, but in the future there are some things that require no refrigeration that you can bring with you. Peanut butter sandwiches or roll-ups, nuts, dried fruit, and protein bars all are pretty filling and healthier than fries. Other than that though just remember that this is a TEMPORARY situation and you'll be back to your normal diet/exercise soon enough. :)

    ReplyDelete